Alliance for a Healthier Generation & Healthcorps
To support health education efforts to reduce childhood obesity and help all children live longer and healthier lives.
Foundation and District Funds committed to date: $1,279,851
2012-2016 ($829,851) Alliance for a Healthier Generation: “Coachella Valley Healthy Schools Program”
- Implementation in the Valley’s three (3) school districts over a four-year period.
- 1st time opportunity for the Alliance to address every school within a confined specific geographic region
- An “Alliance” school is required to follow very specific criteria for developing a healthier school environment. Within the Healthy Schools Program Best Practices Framework, levels of achievement – bronze, gold, and platinum – can be achieved.
- Approximately 71,000 students will be impacted, with school district level policy change anticipated by the end of the four year period.
- Funds raised at the 2012 Palm Springs Mayor Pougnet’s “Healthy Planet, Healthy You Race and Wellness Festival” and matched by the Desert Healthcare Foundation are supporting the Healthy Schools Program specific to the 26 schools in Palm Springs.
2012-2014 ($450,000) Healthcorps Inc.: Healthcorps Coordinators
- A national health educational/peer mentoring program founded by heart surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz.
- Empower American students and their families to become health agents of change for their communities.
- The placement of three (3) HealthCorps Coordinators at Palm Springs High School, Cathedral City High School, and Desert Hot Springs High School - recent college graduates who deferred entry into medical school or graduate health programs to participate in public service through a two-year full time assignment where they conduct approximately ten classes a week and lead after school and community programs.
- The HealthCorps Coordinators, in partnership with The Alliance for a Healthier Generation, will:
- complete the Alliance’s assessment tool to address gaps in each of the high school’s polices and programming;
- create a Wellness Council, a committee of school staff, students, family and community members;
- strive to gain Bronze Status in at least one category within the Alliance’s Best Practices Framework.